Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Strategic Map" keeps teams focused

I recently talked about how great a place Clark Nuber, PS was to work for how they have been recognized in a number of ways for this accomplishment. But what makes a firm a great place to work for and what is it that causes employees to enjoy the company? This is often a question I get asked when I am consulting with other organizations so I thought I would ask Dave Katri, President and CEO of Clark Nuber what his “secret sauce” is to achieving this result.

Dave, being the open and sharing person he is, gave me one of the key ingredients to their success – a “strategic map”. This map allows Clark Nuber to achieve superior operating performance while creating organizational balance. As you can see from this map, it is very detailed and also very focused on what makes an organization really work. There is a solid emphasis on Core Values and People as the primary elements at the beginning of the map – that says a lot right there where their focus lies.

The other two areas, Vision/Mission and Strategic Choices are pretty standard in most strategic plans or maps so they need to be included. To me the magic is in the “placement” of these items. Having your Core Values and People in front of the Vision says something much different than the other way around.

After attending one of our CEOtoCEO sessions, Randy Gardiner, CEO of Red Dot Corporation took a copy of the Clark Nuber “strategic map” from the breakfast and created one for his organization. I have yet to see it but I’m sure I will get a chance to share it with you at some point in the future. Do you have a “strategic map” and if so, does it look something like this one? Let me know…

No comments:

Post a Comment